Saturday, December 22, 2012

You dont have to agree...

Earlier today I was having a heated debate with my Ex-Husband. We were discussing guns & violence which of course is a big topic in the media these days. His position is that since the right to bear arms is in the Constitution that everyone should exercise this right. He says that he doesn't like to feel defenseless & having the right to own a gun makes him feel safer & able to protect himself against harm even though he himself does not own a gun. I am completely & utterly against guns. If it were up to me it would not exist in the constitution & the only people allowed to have guns would be the police & the military. I am aware there is a huge market & a huge black market for firearms. So things have gone way too far for the possibility of a gun less society. One of my strongest & most simple arguments in this debate was that when there are no guns involved everyone has a chance at survival, when there are guns...somebodies bound to die. In any situation if you feel threatened there are a million & one things you can use as a weapon & multiple ways to defend yourself & more than likely everybody lives to see another day. My Ex is a forty four year old man, since he has been of age to legally carry a firearm he has never found himself in a situation or confrontation that would warrant him needing one. I have however been in a situation where some may have preferred to have a weapon. When I was twenty four I was dating a drug dealer, we got robbed & I had a gun held to my head. If you follow my Ex-Husbands logic then had I a gun on me we would have walked away safe & sound?? Nooo....quite the contrary, I walked away from that situation safe & sound because I was unarmed. Had I reached for something all the guy would have to do is pull the trigger & I would have been gone. Having been in that situation I still don't feel the need to carry a gun or have one in my home. I am a woman yes, I could very easily be attacked anywhere at any given moment yes, does that scare me? Hell no! I'm not afraid of men I'm not afraid of women I'm not afraid of guns, I'm not afraid of anything. Life sucks sometimes & is extremely unpredictable, people will find themselves in threatening situations. The answer is not to arm every citizen with a gun so we can all kill each other, the answer is that there is no easy solution to this problem. In any given situation you do what you can to protect yourself, your loved ones, or in some cases a total stranger & you hope to live to see another day. And when you see another you embrace it, thank God for it, be grateful & carry on.

No comments:

Post a Comment